Friday, July 15, 2011

Let's Get Married!

Every girl has, at some point in her life, imagined how she will be proposed to. Being the dramatic princess that I am, I knew that it was going to be grandiose. I had always envisioned being whisked away on a romantic weekend getaway, the man of my dreams getting down on one knee as the sun sets off in the distance. I figured I'd be wearing a ballgown, with my hair blowing in the wind as he professes his love for me, tears in his eyes, tears streaming down my face, the sweet ocean breeze wrapping itself around us as I say yes and leap into his arms. I had no other vision for my proposal.

I met Muffin 6 years ago. His ability to wear a suit drove me wild. I was young, he was newly single, and I fell so madly in love with him I scared him into the friendship zone. There was something so genuine about him that I didn't care that we were just friends. I knew that he was supposed to be in my life - in any shape or form. I really cant recall what turned our friendship into romance, but somehow we found ourselves knee deep in love. We had talked about getting married, about future children and even tried picking out names for our imaginary family. So far the only things we can agree on are Sha'Diamond and Velocity for the girls and Ja'Michael for the boy. We're very classy.

I figured that because my Muffin takes forever to do anything - waking up, brushing his teeth, cleaning, driving, sleeping - we wouldn't be engaged for years. I figured in 5 years, he'd have no choice but to marry me. I never saw it coming. I had absolutely no clue that it would happen so soon.

I had taken a trip to Chicago to visit my family and to see Ricky Martin. Yes, I still love him. And yes, I know he's gay. I had planned to stay a few days but was having such a great time, I extended my stay to over a week. Even though Chicago blood runs through my veins, I have transformed into a California girl and the cold weather, snow, and rain froze me to the core and infected my sinuses to the max. The day that I flew home, I was doped up on nasal spray, cough drops, and Nyquil. I couldn't wait to get home and lay in my own bed, pull the covers over my head, curl up in fetal position and sleep until I felt normal again.

When we landed in California, I turned on my cell phone to call my Muffin to alert him to get in his chariot and pick my sweet ass up. I had several texts messages waiting for me and as I waited for people to deplane, I quickly read through them. One stood out. A message from Muffin's aunt in Detroit congratulating me, asking if the wedding bells would be ringing soon. I was confused.

I immediately call my cousin freaking out. He told me that he had no idea what I was talking about. Then I called my friends. No one knew anything. But why would his aunt congratulate me? Maybe she texted the wrong person? I begin to freak out. I'm too sick to be proposed to. Is he going to be at the baggage claim, ring in hand, asking me to marry him with snot running down my face? I was terrified.

I got my bags and waited outside. I was so nervous. When Muffin pulled up, he got out and he was dressed up. My heart began to race. I hugged and kissed him, got into the car, searched the back seat for any signs of a proposal but there was nothing to be found. We got home, I went to the bathroom to compose myself, wash my face, and pop multiple Nyquil pills. I literally could not hear, my nose was completely congested, and I had the worst headache ever. The flight home had amplified my sinus infection to the extreme and I was miserable.

I come out of the bathroom and see that my Muffin is anxiously waiting for me in the kitchen. He tells me that he had spoken to my father while I was in Chicago about us moving in together. I had tasked him with telling my father about our decision because I figured if my father didnt like it, he would kill Muffin and I'd still be safe. I asked what he said, how he reacted, what happened, and Muffin told me he wrote down everything that was said in a letter. He had put it in the new bookshelf he bought and put together for me while I was out of town. He had placed it in a book he had given to me when we had first started dating.

As I picked the book up, I saw a ring box behind the book. I knew it was happening. I was shocked. I was sick. I was deaf, and everything was happening too fast. He came over to me, said a bunch of nice things that I couldn't hear through the congestion. Inside the box was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen. He asked me to marry him and put the ring on my finger. I said "are you serious? are you sure? no, really? oh my god. seriously?" for about 2 minutes before I said yes.

I then jumped up and down while screaming. I was the happiest girl in the world. I called my parents, my friends, and in about 20 minutes, I began to feel the Nyquil.

I never in my life thought I would be proposed to, while miserably sick with a sinus infection and deaf from my ears being plugged after a plane ride home. I never thought I'd be immediately sleepy after being proposed to because I tripled the recommended dose of Nyquil. Literally 20 minutes after my Muffin proposed, I was in bed.... asleep... and probably snoring.

It was nothing like what I had imaged, but it was perfect. For my blog.



Lesson Learned:

Don't dream too big. Your sinuses will get too congested at extremely high elevations.

4 comments:

  1. Lol Good one!!! Sha'Diamond, Velocity, and Ja'Michael would be so proud!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this!!! congratulations!!! and happy to see you blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww....that's so sweet. you guys were made for each other glad your going to be apart of our family :) ps i teared up a lil bit too lol luv u keshia

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, so Beautiful story, well sorry about your sickness at that moment of course. I'm so happy for you guys, thanks for sharing that special moment,I couldn't hold my tears while reading this. With my signature, you will know who I am ~ LOVE ~

    ReplyDelete